Project Overview (.pdf)
MT Pothole Wetlands
Poplar Oil Field
USGS Produced Waters Program
USGS IN YOUR STATE
USGS Water Science Centers are located in each state.
Prairie Potholes Brine Contamination Information and Data
GIS-based vulnerability assessment of brine contamination to aquatic resources
from oil and gas development in eastern Sheridan County,
Montana - Preston, Todd M., Tara L. Chesley-Preston, and Joanna N. Thamke.
Bureau of Mines and Geology: Open-File Report 620: U.S. Fish & Wildlife
Service Region 6 Environmental Contaminants Program - Montana- Impacts
of oil exploration and production to the Northeast Montana Wetland Management
district - Rouse, D.R., Nelson, K.J., Reiten, J.C., 2013. (Note: map should
be plotted at ARCH C (18X24) or larger)
Strontium Isotope Systematics of Mixing Groundwater and Oil-Field Brine
at Goose Lake in northeastern Montana, USA - Peterman, Zell E.,
Joanna Thamke, Kiyoto Futa,
Todd Preston, 2012.
- USGS Open-File 2012-1149: Water-quality
and geophysical data for three study sites within the Williston Basin
and Prairie Pothole Region - Preston, T.M., Smith, B.D., Thamke, J.N.,
and Chesley-Preston, T., 2012.
- Thesis: Reexamining saline contamination associated with oil and gas development
in the prairie pothole region, Sheridan county, MT - Todd M. Preston, 2011,
Montana State University
- USGS Fact Sheet 2011-3047: Examination of Brine Contamination Risk to Aquatic Resources from Petroleum Development in the Williston Basin
- USGS Open-File 2010-1326: Strontium Isotope Detection of Brine Contamination in the East Poplar
Oil Field, Montana
- MBMG Open-File 1993-260: Appraisal of Oil-Field
Brine Contamination in Shallow Ground Water and Surface Water, Eastern
County, Montana - Jon Reiten, 1993, Montana Bureau of Mines and
Geology Open-File Report 260, 117 p and 5 appendixes, 14MB.
JPG Image file: 200 KB